All Our Yesterdays - Cristin Terrill

--Cristin Terrill, All Our Yesterdays.

Synopsis:

What would you change?

Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend, James, since they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it... at least, not as the girl she once was. Em and Marina are in a race against time that only one of them can win.

My Thoughts:

I freaking loved this, I listened on Audio and I couldn't stop listening.  I was like a headphone junkie.  I purchased this as one of my "free trial" selections from audible.com.  I did continue my subscription for a few more months at a discounted price, but I just canceled it. :(   I really wish it wasn't so expensive.  Of course, if my local library would just get some more interesting books in mp3 format, I wouldn't have to worry.  The narration was done by Meredith Mitchell, and I really only have one complaint...which is the volume of her voice would not go up high enough.  I really hope that the rest of my audio's from audible are not that way.

This story is about time-travel, but it's uniquely told and with more believability than other books with time-travel.  It's not like someone went to sleep in a sleeping bag and woke the next morning in the 1800's or something.  There is an actual time-traveling machine with a name even.   I couldn't help getting sucked in by this story.  It's about life and love and growing up and doing what's right.

According to Goodreads, there is a sequel to this book, but if you go to Cristin Terrill's website, you will find that is not the case anymore.  This link will take you to...

THE HARD TRUTH ABOUT THE ALL OUR YESTERDAYS SEQUEL

I am sad...but it's okay because it is better than having a sequel that was made just to make more money from it.  There is link to a short (very short) story about Marina and Finn. Hopefully, there will be more too.  Besides, the ending did make this book seem like it was a stand-alone book.