The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) - Maggie Stiefvater

--Maggie Stiefvater, The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

Synopsis:

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

My Thoughts:

I listened on Audio, with narration by Will Patton.  I'm not sure how I feel about him as a narrator.  He grew on me, but I think I was expecting a female narrator.  Once I started reading I realized why they have a man narrating.

This book is told from multiple pov's, and I like that.  It is a more rounded story that way.  It is mostly told from The pov's of the Raven Boys and Blue, but there are other characters as well.  The boys and Blue are all likable in some way.  Some characters you get to know better than others, but it appears that might shift in future volumes of this series.

This author is very descriptive when she writes about something, not as intensely descriptive as Laini Taylor, but close.  I tend to lose interest in what is being said when the writing is too descriptive.  Which is one of the reason's for the star knockdown.  I know some people like that kind of writing, though.

The other reason for the star knockdown is this book does start out slow, I found myself yawning on my way to work when I was listening to it, and thinking I really needed a caffeine boost when I got to work.  It did eventually pick up and some of the paranormal content that I found confounding, at first, started making more sense.  it is not the style of paranormal that I'm used to reading, but that's actually a positive aspect.  I need something different when it comes to paranormal, because too much of it is formulaic.

The ending did have some closure, but you, of course, know there is still more to come.  I believe I will keep listening to future volumes of The Raven Cycle as they come out on Audio Mp3.