The Giver  - Lois Lowry

...the world in this book is so weird.

Synopsis:

The Giver, the 1994 Newbery Medal winner, has become one of the most influential novels of our time. The haunting story centers on twelve-year-old Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community.

My Thoughts:

There is a lot of strange stuff going on this story, like an 11 year old bathing an old woman, whose not even related to him.

Ewww.

But seriously, once I got past that and it wasn't easy; I realized this story has a message.  it's rather deep, actually.  It causes you think about life and not taking things for granted...and so much more.  I have literally went back and forth on my rating of this book.  I'm still torn between 3.5 and 4 stars.  It's been the...thought provoking message vs. the weird/crappy ending.

And that brings me to the ending.  It left me unfulfilled and bewildered.  It's like it just stopped and it doesn't seem like the second book starts off where the first left off.   I think there might be 3 different stories that all converge in the fourth book.  That's just me speculating after reading the synopsis for all of them.  If that is the case then I might like to see where it's going.  I don't know though.  Maybe I should watch the movie.

I listened to this on Audio and it was the shortest audio book I've ever listened too.  Ron Rifkin has the best articulation of any narrator I've ever listened too.  He was almost too perfect.