A Thousand Pieces of You: Firebird, Book 1 - Claudia Gray, Tavia Gilbert

The cover for this book is amazing.  Love the color palette.

Synopsis:

A thousand lives.
A thousand possibilities.
One fate.

Marguerite Caine grew up surrounded by cutting-edge scientific theories, thanks to her brilliant physicist parents. Yet nothing is more astounding than her mother's latest invention—a device called the Firebird, which allows people to leap into alternate dimensions.

When Marguerite's father is murdered, all the evidence points to one person—Paul, her parents' enigmatic star student. Before the law can touch him, Paul escapes into another dimension, having committed what seems like the perfect crime. But he didn't count on Marguerite. She doesn't know if she can kill a man, but she's going to find out.

With the help of another physics student, Theo, Marguerite chases Paul through various dimensions. In each new world Marguerite leaps to, she meets another version of Paul that has her doubting his guilt and questioning her heart. Is she doomed to repeat the same betrayal?

As Marguerite races through these wildly different lives—a grand duchess in a Tsarist Russia, a club-hopping orphan in a futuristic London, a refugee from worldwide flooding on a station in the heart of the ocean—she is swept into an epic love affair as dangerous as it is irresistible.

My Thoughts:

I listened to this book on Audio, with narration by Tavia Gilbert.  Of which, she did an exceptional job of.  She did different accents for the same characters and well, she was awesome.

One of the best quotes about "Love at first sight" from this book:

“I meant it when I said I didn’t believe in love at first sight. It takes time to really, truly fall for someone. Yet I believe in a moment. A moment when you glimpse the truth within someone, and they glimpse the truth within you. In that moment, you don’t belong to yourself any longer, not completely. Part of you belongs to him; part of him belongs to you. After that, you can’t take it back, no matter how much you want to, no matter how hard you try.”

--Claudia Gray

The thought of alternate realities is somewhat hard to comprehend, kind of like a mind-fuck.  I was worried that it wouldn't make sense, but it's written in a way that totally makes it believable, and easy to understand. I really enjoyed the different realities the characters jumped into.  Some really interesting locations, which I won't give away.

All in all, this was an excellent adventure with an actual ending, and with clear indication that there is still more story to be told.  I'm am looking forward to the next installment.