Raksha (Blood and Fire Series (A Young Adult Dystopian Series)) - Frankie Rose

The book I read was called Halo, but when I put it in on booklikes Raksha is what comes up, which is the original title of this book.  My book looks like this:

halo

Synopsis:

She has no name.

She has her knives. Her training. Her halo.

The first and second give her the ability to defeat the opponents she is pitted against each month. The third frees her from pain and fear. From any kind of emotion at all. Everything is as it should be. Everything is as it should be, until…

Fear… Pain… Anger… Happiness… Desire… Guilt…

Love.

When a newly named Kit escapes the Sanctuary after killing her best friend, the last thing she needs is another knife in her hand. Or Ryka, the damaged, beautiful blond boy, whom she refuses to let save her. The sights and sounds of Freetown are new, yet one thing is familiar: the matches. The only difference? Where the blood in the Sanctuary landed only on the Colosseum floor, Kit will quickly learn that a river of red runs through Freetown’s very streets.

Without her halo, the inhabitants of Kit’s new home consider her saved, but is that really the case? The reality of her old life is paralyzing. Would she be better off free of the guilt associated with all the blood on her hands, or is the love of one boy worth living through all the pain?

Raksha is the call of the dead. It is the rumbling chant for fresh blood from the other side, the demand for sacrifice. The Colosseum is behind Kit. The fighting pits await.
My Thoughts:

I'm really behind on my book reviews because of this book.  So here goes...hopefully it's not too choppy and disorganized.

There were good parts and bad parts to this story.  One thing about it is the English versions of words,  (ex: realise/realize) which for some reason; I just cannot get past them.  I try, but I just see typo's.  It made this book hard to read for me.   Which, in turn has made it hard to review for me.

The concept of this book; a girl who has had no feelings of any kind her whole life because of a device that she wears around her neck that eliminates them and then gets said device removed; is an intriguing idea.  I just felt at times that something was off in the writing.  It felt like..ugh...I don't know...

There were some good quotes though...This quote kind sums up everything about this story, including how I feel about it.

"Life isn't just fear and horror all the time, y'know?  The sweet moments are usually worth the suffering you go through along the way."
  --Frankie Rose