Illusive - Emily Lloyd-Jones

Initial Thoughts:

This started out slow and did not pick up until the last quarterish of the book.  It is an Interesting take on a semi dystopian world, though.

Synopsis:

When the MK virus swept across the planet, a vaccine was created to stop the epidemic, but it came with some unexpected side effects. A small percentage of the population developed superhero-like powers. Seventeen-year-old Ciere Giba has the handy ability to change her appearance at will. She's what's known as an illusionist...She's also a thief.

After a robbery goes awry, Ciere must team up with a group of fellow super-powered criminals on another job that most would consider too reckless. The formula for the vaccine that gave them their abilities was supposedly destroyed years ago. But what if it wasn't?

The lines between good and bad, us and them, and freedom and entrapment are blurred as Ciere and the rest of her crew become embroiled in a deadly race against he government that could cost them their lives.

My Thoughts:

This is billed as:

The X-Men meets Ocean's Eleven in this edge-of-your-seat sci-fi adventure about a band of "super" criminals.

I think that is an adequate billing, I would just change it a little:

The X-men meets Oceans Eleven meets Steelheart in this sometimes-edge-of your-seat sci-fi adventure about a band of "super" criminals.

I like books about superhero's or superpower's, might be a better title for them.  This book, for some reason reminded me of Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson.  I didn't think this was as good as Steelheart, though.

I listened to this on Audio with narration done by Caitlin Davies and Kirby Heyborne, with Caitlin performing the part of Ciere and Kirby performing the part of Daniel.  They did a good job; not one of my favorites, but there is potential.  I would give them 4 Stars, also.  To be fair we didn't hear from Daniel as much, but that could change in the second book.

There is a lot going on this book with little sub-plots throughout.  And, I think this has the potential to be a good series.  In future books I would like to see more from Daniel, and since he is one of the "voices" in this book; I'm sure I will.