Scan - Sarah Fine, Walter Jury

Hailed as "MacGyver meets War of the Worlds" which is an apt description.  I would just add...with a touch of Transformers (except the Aliens are more human-like instead of machine-like).

Synopsis:

Tate and his father don’t exactly get along. As Tate sees it, his father has unreasonably high expectations for Tate to be the best—at everything. Tate finally learns what he’s being prepared for when he steals one of his dad’s odd tech inventions and mercenaries ambush the school, killing his father in the process and sending Tate on the run from aliens who look just like humans.

All Tate knows--like how to make weapons out of oranges and lighter fluid--may not be enough to save him as he’s plunged into a secret inter-species conflict that’s been going on for centuries. Aided only by his girlfriend and his estranged mother, with powerful enemies closing in on all sides, Tate races to puzzle out the secret behind his father’s invention and why so many are willing to kill for it. A riveting, fast-paced adventure, Scan is a clever alien thriller with muscle and heart.

My Thoughts:

I listened on Audio with narration done by Luke Daniels.  At first I didn't like his voice but it grew on me and before I knew it, I had forgotten that I felt that way.  He was actually really good with different voices and accents.

This book is packed with lots of thrilling non-stop action.  So much so, that I flew right through it.  While it's not what I'm used to reading from Sarah Fine, I stilled enjoyed this immensely.  I am definitely looking forward to Burn when it comes out in May.