Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone series) - Lori M. Lee

First off; I want to say I LOVE this cover.  There is something about it that spoke to me...

Synopsis:

In the Labyrinth, we had a saying: keep silent, keep still, keep safe.

In a city of walls and secrets, where only one man is supposed to possess magic, seventeen-year-old Kai struggles to keep hidden her own secret—she can manipulate the threads of time. When Kai was eight, she was found by Reev on the riverbank, and her “brother” has taken care of her ever since. Kai doesn’t know where her ability comes from—or where she came from. All that matters is that she and Reev stay together, and maybe one day move out of the freight container they call home, away from the metal walls of the Labyrinth. Kai’s only friend is Avan, the shopkeeper’s son with the scandalous reputation that both frightens and intrigues her.

Then Reev disappears. When keeping silent and safe means losing him forever, Kai vows to do whatever it takes to find him. She will leave the only home she’s ever known and risk getting caught up in a revolution centuries in the making. But to save Reev, Kai must unravel the threads of her past and face shocking truths about her brother, her friendship with Avan, and her unique power.

My Thoughts:

...I just wish the story lived up to the cover.

It started out good, interesting albeit a little confusing, but confusing is normal when first starting a series/book.  This is a world in the future, a dystopian future within a paranormal fringe.  A fantasy of sorts.  A world where being different is really quite normal.

About a quarter of the way through the book, I got bored with it, because it was still so confusing.  And throughout the book you only get a little less confused as you go.  The story didn't really start clicking with me until the last 50 or so pages.

I'm still on the fence about continuing with the series.  It's possible that I will.