Reapers - Edward W. Robertson

"We start off thinking the whole world is about us, once you learn how little it cares about you, that's when you stop taking things personal."

--Edward W Robertson, Reapers

Synopsis:

When the plague came, federal agent Ellie Colson fled into the Adirondacks with Dee, the daughter she barely knew. They began a new life as subsistence farmers, isolated from the fall of the world. In the six years since, a small community has arisen from the ashes. Dee is grown up. She's engaged to Quinn, a young man from across the lake.

And she's being hunted.

Strangers are spying on the farms at night. Dee's harassed by a spurned suitor. One of Quinn's dogs turns up dead. Drawing on her old skills, Ellie launches an investigation of the locals. Turns out Quinn's dad has made some bad decisions. Some enemies, too. The strangers aren't after Dee--they're after Quinn.

When he goes missing, Quinn's dad fears the worst. But Ellie has a lead. She and Dee track the kidnappers into the post-apocalyptic wilderness of New York--and into darker lands than Ellie could ever imagine.

My Thoughts:  (may contain spoilers for books 0.5-3)

This is the fourth book in the Breakers Series and I really think EWR has grown as a writer.  His writing is more complex with a lot of reflections about life and the essence of being human.  This whole series is about aliens landing on our planet and dispersing a virus in the water, so that it kills most of the human population off.  These books are about the people who are left and not affected by the virus; trying to survive and thrive even in a world, that is almost completely decimated.

This book in particular is about Ellie, who we first see in the novella Outcome (#0.5).   There is also another character introduced that we haven't previously seen; Lucy.  Lucy is a good addition, I liked her.  We then switch between Ellie's story and Lucy's story with each chapter, which can be frustrating because every chapter ends with something big happening and then the next chapter is about the other one.  Frustrating but I've learned to live with it, because all the books in this series are like this.

I'll leave with a couple quotes from this book:

"Enemies are like family, you don't get to choose them.  And you can only avoid them for so long."

"And it was truism that the people most interested in power and authority were those least qualified to exercise them."

My other reviews for this series:

Outcome