Snow Like Ashes - Sara Raasch

“Someday we will be more than words in the dark”

--Sara Raasch, Snow Like Ashes

Synopsis:

A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.

My Thoughts:

I listened to this on Audio with narration done by Kate Ruud, she was passable, not one of my favorites, but she did all right.

While this book had some inconsistencies, I still enjoyed it.  Despite having a love triangle, which really, to be truthful, I'm not one of those people who despise love triangles, they happen, even in real life.  Love triangles are all about the drama and drama is a good thing.  Otherwise, the book could just be boring.  I do prefer that the girl knows who she wants, at least who she really wants.  I'm not sure Meira (MC) knows who she really wants, though.  It's only the first book, so we will have to see.  But, then the romance wasn't really the basis of this book anyhow.  The twist is...

The world is fascinating in the Snow Like Ashes, and I read somewhere that it is similar to Game of Thrones, I've never read that or seen the show, so it was a totally new concept to me.  The world building in the beginning was really hard to follow, but eventually with some repetition I did get the gist of it.

The last half of the book was actually pretty good though.  The twist; that I didn't see coming was sensational.  I will probably read the next one, or listen, either one will work for me.