Ship Breaker - Paolo Bacigalupi

"Damn, his last name is a mouthful."

--said Me, lol

Synopsis:

In America's Gulf Coast region, where grounded oil tankers are being broken down for parts, Nailer, a teenage boy, works the light crew, scavenging for copper wiring just to make quota--and hopefully live to see another day. But when, by luck or chance, he discovers an exquisite clipper ship beached during a recent hurricane, Nailer faces the most important decision of his life: Strip the ship for all it's worth or rescue its lone survivor, a beautiful and wealthy girl who could lead him to a better life. . . .

In this powerful novel, award-winning author Paolo Bacigalupi delivers a thrilling, fast-paced adventure set in a vivid and raw, uncertain future.

My Thoughts:

The world in this book is really depressing, I don't want to live there.  It did make for an interesting read though. The world is so bleak and scary, at least what you see in this book.  The story in it's essence is about the decisions we make in life and how they can effect everything and everyone around you.  There is a lot of "what would you choose moments".  This one made me think a lot.

The Author did have an odd way of writing which made it hard for me to follow at first, eventually though, I adjusted and didn't notice it so much.

Nailer is an engaging MC and I really liked the scenes where he is learning to read.  I really hope things are better for him and his Lucky Girl.  From what I read of the synopsis of the second book The Drowned Cities is just a new story with new characters and the same bleak world.  A companion novel to Ship Breaker.