Birthmarked: Birthmarked Trilogy Series, Book 1 - Caragh M. O'Brien, Carla Mercer-Meyer

“Even the worst feeling, with time and familiarity, became tolerable.”

― Caragh O'Brien, Birthmarked.

Synopsis:

In the future, in a world baked dry by the harsh sun, there are those who live inside the wall and those, like sixteen-year-old midwife, Gaia Stone, who live outside. Gaia has always believed it is her duty, with her mother, to hand over a small quota of babies to the Enclave. But when Gaia's mother and father are arrested by the very people they so dutifully serve, Gaia is forced to question everything she has been taught to believe. Gaia's choice is now simple: enter the world of the Enclave to rescue her parents, or die trying.

My Thoughts:

I think that quote at the top, really says it all.  It sort of sums up how I feel about this book as a whole.  It was hard to get into, even with narration.  The world it's set in is so dispiriting and peculiar (seriously, incest is not best).  The characters needed more development, which is not to say that this book was short, because it was really too long.  Which is odd that I think that, because it's not that long...but, I couldn't help feeling that it was.

The last 1/3 of the book did pick up and we finally got a chance to know someone other than Gaia.  But this could be that I built up a tolerance (see quote above).  Sadly,  I am not sure if I want to continue this series or not.

Narration was performed by Carla Mercer-Meyer.  She was OK, not noteworthy, but not horrible, either.  She did speak very slowly, which drove me crazy and I could always hear when she took a breath.