If You Find Me - Emily Murdoch, Tai Sammons

Book Title:  If You Find Me

Author:  Emily Murdoch

Narration:  Tai Sammons

❖ ❖ Why I picked that quote:  I think it embodies what Carey needs to accomplish to move forward in her new life.❖ ❖

My Rating:

Plot:   4/5

Characters:  4.5/5

Theme:  5/5  The message in this story is a wonderful one.

Flow:   4/5

Originality:  3/5

Book Cover:  3/5 for Book version, 3.5/5 for Audio Version

The Feels:  4.8/5

Narration:  3/5  Narrator spoke in an accent (Tennessee Backwoods) for most of the whole book, which made it hard for me to fully connect.

Ending:  4/5    Needed more closure.  Cliffhanger:  N/A

Overall Rating: 4.3 Stars

Synopsis:

There are some things you can’t leave behind…

A broken-down camper hidden deep in a national forest is the only home fifteen year-old Carey can remember. The trees keep guard over her threadbare existence, with the one bright spot being Carey’s younger sister, Jenessa, who depends on Carey for her very survival. All they have is each other, as their mentally ill mother comes and goes with greater frequency. Until that one fateful day their mother disappears for good, and two strangers arrive. Suddenly, the girls are taken from the woods and thrust into a bright and perplexing new world of high school, clothes and boys.

Now, Carey must face the truth of why her mother abducted her ten years ago, while haunted by a past that won’t let her go… a dark past that hides many a secret, including the reason Jenessa hasn’t spoken a word in over a year. Carey knows she must keep her sister close, and her secrets even closer, or risk watching her new life come crashing down.

My Thoughts:

This is one of those books that hurts to read or listen to, depending on your medium.  It tears you up to think about atrocities of this type being done to someone, especially an innocent child.  But this book is about more than that; it's about persevering in spite of said atrocities.  It's also about being someones hero.  Carey is Jenessa's hero.   Their sisterly bond is amazing, and I wish my daughters had just a little bit of that.  Maybe, they do, but they are suppressing it right now.

While there are some things I thought should have been addressed by the ending, that never really were.  Overall, I enjoyed this book, especially it's uplifting message.