The Book of Ivy - Amy Engel

Book Title:   The Book of Ivy

Author:  Amy Engel

Narration:  Taylor Meskimen

Series:  The Book of Ivy #1

Why I chose that quote:  It helps the title make more sense to me, and...it's all Bishop.

My Rating

Plot:  4.7/5

Characters:  5/5  They slowly grew on me.  I really like both Bishop and Ivy.

Theme:  4.5/5  Standing up for what you think is right is always a good message.

Flow:  5/5  The pacing was just right.

Originality:  4.2/5  While there is plenty of Dystopians out there, this one is only about two generations in from "the end of the world"

Book Cover:  4/5  Mostly fitting.  White is always clean looking.

The Feels: 4.2/5  Ivy and Bishop's relationship is very sweet in how it progresses.

Narration:  3.8/5  OK but sort of depressing.

Ending:   4.2/5  I think I wanted a little more.  Cliffhanger:  Sort of...yeah.

Overall Rating: 4.7/5

Will I continue the series:  Yes, most def.

Synopsis:

After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…

My Thoughts:

This book is an interesting take on a dystopian-esque community/town.  Complete with a razor wire fence surrounding it.   The politics and the intrigue abound and Ivy is caught in the middle.  I found Ivy's growth throughout this book engaging, and I really loved Bishop.  I would really like alternate POV's in the next book, so I could get inside his head as well.  I'm so looking forward to the next book.