Torn Away - Jennifer Brown

Book Title:  Torn Away

Author:  Jennifer Brown

Series:  Stand-Alone

❖❖Why I chose that quote:  Because I've been there and pretty much thought the same thing.  I apologize, if it seems spoilerish.  The synopsis, pretty much gives it away, anyway. ❖❖

My Rating

Plot:   5/5. This book really got me.

Characters:  5/5.  I admired some and wanted to run some of them over with a car.

Theme:  5/5

Flow:  5/5 Spot-on representation of a teenage girl.

Originality:  5/5

Book Cover:  4.5/5

The Feels:  5/5  Gut-wrenching.  Seriously, I keep crying, the tears were literally pouring down my face.

Ending:   5/5   Cliffhanger:  Stand-Alone

Overall Rating:  5/5 Stars

Would I read other works by this Author:   Yes, I just need to make sure I don't try to read them at work, people look at you weird if your crying in the break room.

Synopsis:

Jersey Cameron has always loved a good storm. Watching the clouds roll in and the wind pick up. Smelling the electricity in the air. Dancing barefoot in the rain. She lives in the Midwest, after all, where the weather is sure to keep you guessing. Jersey knows what to do when the tornado sirens sound. But she never could have prepared for this.

When her town is devastated by a tornado, Jersey loses everything. As she struggles to overcome her grief, she's sent to live with relatives she hardly knows-family who might as well be strangers. In an unfamiliar place, can Jersey discover that even on the darkest of days, there are some things no tornado can destroy?

In this powerful and poignant novel, acclaimed author Jennifer Brown delivers a story of love, loss, hope, and survival.

My Thoughts:

My daughters drove through Joplin on their way to see their relatives in Oklahoma with their Aunt a couple months after the town was hit by that disastrous tornado.  My daughter called to tell me about it and sent pics from her phone.  The devastation was overwhelming just from what I seen in those pics.  Jennifer Brown was in Joplin around the same time my daughters were.  --From the Author's Note in the back of the book--

This book is for all of those in Joplin who showed me firsthand what survivor spirit looks like...It's for all of you who unexpectedly have found yourselves forced to redefine what "everything" means to you.

This book touched me in so many ways, it deserves any and all recognition that it is given.  Jersey's story is heartfelt, and ultimately inspiring.  I would recommend this to anyone.  Period.