Don't Look Back - Jennifer L. Armentrout

Author:  Jennifer L Armentrout

Narration:  Carla Mercer-Meyer

Series:  Stand Alone

Overall Rating:  4.5/5

Why I picked that quote:  For one:  It is so true!  Second, Samantha loses her memory and this really embodies how she feels about all her supposed real friends; now that she is more like an outsider looking in on them.

Breakdown of Rating

Plot:  4/5

Characters:  4.3/5

Theme:  4/5

Flow:  5/5  The pacing was perfect.

Originality:  4/5

Book Cover:  5/5  Awesome, love it.

The Feels:  4.2/5  JLA is really good with the feels.

Narration:  4.5/5  She was decent.  She had some really good alternate voices.

Ending:    4.5/5   I really didn't see her Mother coming thru for her the way she did.  Cliffhanger:  No

Synopsis:

Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all-popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend.

Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash.

But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory-someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?

My Thoughts:

This book was captivating, it's not my usual kind of read, except until recently.  I've really got into this YA/Mystery genre lately.  I don't think it's JLA's usual style to write in either, but she doesn't really stick to one particular genre, either.  I like that about her.

I liked how I was constantly trying to figure out who is behind Samantha's and Cassie's disappearance, nobody is ruled out as a suspect.  My only real qualm with it is I didn't feel as connected with Samantha as I would like to have been.   Still, it's a quite a stellar read.