Nomad - J.L. Bryan

Book Title:  Nomad

Author:   JL Bryan

Series:  Stand Alone

❖❖Why I went with that quote:  I hadn't highlighted anything; except a particularly awful, unedited sentence,* so I skimmed through the book for inspiration, and that was what I found... at least, it's true.❖❖

Overall Rating:  2.4/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

Plot:  2.2/5   It just felt so disjointed.

Characters:  2/5   I'm not sure I ever really connected to them, not enough, at least.

Theme:  2.8/5

Flow:  2/5

Originality:  3/5   While it was time-travel...it did have an interesting take on it.

Book Cover:  3

The Feels:  2/5   Without a connection to the characters, the feels fell flat for me.

Ending:    3/5   The ending is what saved this from being a straight-up 2 Star read for me. Cliffhanger:  No

Synopsis

They took everything: her family, her home, her childhood.

By the age of nineteen, Raven has spent most of her life in the sprawling slums of America, fighting as a rebel against the dictatorship. When the rebellion steals an experimental time-travel device, she travels back five decades to the year 2013. Her plan: assassinate the future dictator when he is still young and vulnerable, long before he comes to power. She must move fast to reshape history, because agents from her own time are on her trail, ready to execute her on sight.

My Thoughts:

I felt for most part, the idea of this book is a good one, it's just that the execution fell flat.  There were a lot of weird moments or WTF moments that made me stop reading and try to contemplate why it was happening.  It also needs some serious editing done to it.  The ending was the only redeeming part within this book, it wrapped everything up fairly nicely.

While I am a fan of many indie writers, they're a lot of good ones out there.  I don't think JL Bryan will make that list for me.  I'm still glad I gave him a chance.

*The sentence:  She found herself wondering whether he would cup of coffeemake a return appearance.  --Seriously can you figure this out, is she trying to figure out if a cup of coffee is going to make a return appearance, Whaaaat.  It's just too much for it, not to be noticed by some kind of proofreader.