Unteachable - Leah Raeder

Book Title:  Unteachable

Author:  Leah Raeder

Narration:  Grace Grant

Series:  Stand Alone

Source:  MP3 Audiobook (Library)

✧✧Why I picked that quote:  There were so many to choose from...seriously, the mind of Maise is intriguing and insightful for someone so young.✧✧

Overall Rating3.7/5

Breakdown of Rating

• Plot:  3.7/5  The first half had way to much sex-plicit (sexually explicit) scenes.  For me, sex is not a plot.  The second half did get better.  The whole deal with her Mother's dealer was rather sketchy.
  • Characters:  4/5  Maise is a strong female heroine.  Evan...I couldn't stop myself from seeing him as a defiler of daughters.
  • Theme:  3/5
  • Flow:  4.7/5 The writing itself was actually superb
  • Originality:  4/5
  • Book Cover:  3.5/5  Most scenes within the book say that she goes without make-up.  I don't think it matched the book.  It's pretty though. (My cover was the newer version, not the one that is pictured above.)
  • The Feels:  3/5  ugh, the angst, the confusion...
  • Narration:  4.5/5  I'm conflicted...I felt she was perfect for the voice of Maise but I was also put-off by her rawness.  Her narrating skills in general were really good, though.
  • Ending:    4/5  I might have wanted a different outcome.  Cliffhanger:  No

Synopsis:

Maise O’Malley just turned eighteen, but she’s felt like a grown-up her entire life. The summer before senior year, she has plans: get into a great film school, convince her mom to go into rehab, and absolutely do not, under any circumstances, screw up her own future.

But life has a way of throwing her plans into free-fall.

When Maise meets Evan at a carnival one night, their chemistry is immediate, intense, and short-lived. Which is exactly how she likes it: no strings. But afterward, she can’t get Evan out of her head. He’s taught her that a hookup can be something more. It can be an unexpected connection with someone who truly understands her. Someone who sees beyond her bravado to the scared but strong girl inside.

That someone turns out to be her new film class teacher, Mr. Evan Wilke.

Maise and Evan resolve to keep their hands off each other, but the attraction is too much to bear. Together, they’re real and genuine; apart, they’re just actors playing their parts for everyone else. And their masks are slipping. People start to notice. Rumors fly. When the truth comes to light in a shocking way, they may learn they were just playing parts for each other, too.

Smart, sexy, and provocative, Unteachable is about what happens when a love story goes off-script.

My Thoughts:

I wanted to like this more than I did.  When it comes right down to it, this hits a little too close to home for me.   (My oldest is going to turn 18 in her next year of high school)  I was really uncomfortable throughout most of this book.  Which is due entirely to the fact that I was unable to like Evan as a character.

I really liked Maise, though, how she's so jaded at the beginning of the book...

"Thanks, Dad, for leaving a huge void in my life that Freud says has to be filled with dick.”

...and somewhere along the way she becomes so philosophical...

“There are moments, when you’re getting to know someone, when you realize something deep and buried in you is deep and buried in them, too. It feels like meeting a stranger you’ve known your whole life.”

...and when she falls in love...

“...You should love something while you have it, love it fully and without reservation, even if you know you'll lose it someday. We lose everything. If you're trying to avoid loss, there's no point in taking another breath, or letting your heart beat one more time. It all ends." His fingers curl around mine. "That's all life is. Breathing in, breathing out. The space between two breaths.”

...and that's the point where she really becomes mature.