Girl Underwater - Claire Kells

Book Title:  Girl Underwater

Author:  Claire Kells

Narration:  Julia Whelan

Genre:  Contemporary Fiction/Romance (somewhere between Young Adult and New Adut), Survival

Source: MP3 Audiobook (Library)

❃❃Why I didn't have my usual quote:  When you listen to a book on audio, it's really difficult to find quotes that stand out for you.  So, I usually rely on finding them off goodreads, but there wasn't any good one's.  After much deliberation I decided to say something about the narrator, because she is one my top favs out there and when I see a book is narrated by her, I know I'm going to enjoy it.❃❃

Overall Rating:  4.3/5

✧Breakdown of Rating✧

• Plot:  4/5  The Author switches from the past (surviving the plane crash) to the present (learning to live again).
  • Characters:  4.5/5  I adored Colin and would have liked to see more from him.
  • Theme:  4.5/5
  • Flow:  4/5
  • Originality:  4.2/5
  • Book Cover:  5/5
  • The Feels:  3.5/5
  • Sex Factor:    A Clean Romance
  • Narration:  5/5  She really made the voices of the little boys, especially Tim; a highlight of this story.
  • Ending:      5/5  Cliffhanger:   Stand-Alone

Will I Read More From This Author:  Yes

Synopsis:

An adventurous debut novel that cross cuts between a competitive college swimmer's harrowing days in the Rocky Mountains after a major airline disaster and her recovery supported by the two men who love her--only one of whom knows what really happened in the wilderness.
Nineteen-year-old Avery Delacorte loves the water. Growing up in Brookline, Massachusetts, she took swim lessons at her community pool and captained the local team; in high school, she raced across bays and sprawling North American lakes. Now a sophomore on her university's nationally ranked team, she struggles under the weight of new expectations but life is otherwise pretty good. Perfect, really.
That all changes when Avery's red-eye home for Thanksgiving makes a ditch landing in a mountain lake in the Colorado Rockies. She is one of only five survivors, which includes three little boys and Colin Shea, who happens to be her teammate. Colin is also the only person in Avery's college life who challenged her to swim her own events, to be her own person--something she refused to do. Instead she's avoided him since the first day of freshman year. But now, faced with sub-zero temperatures, minimal supplies, and the dangers of a forbidding nowhere, Avery and Colin must rely on each other in ways they never could've imagined.
In the wilderness, the concept of survival is clear-cut. Simple. In the real world, it's anything but.

My Thoughts:

My only real qualm with this book is; throughout the entire story, Avery is distraught over the horrible thing she did on the mountain, but when you find out what it is, it's really a let down.

Therefore, you have to take this story at it's core, which is a survival story--not just the tragedy itself but the aftermath of the tragedy.  It's about finding yourself and coming to realize who and what you are.  At your core.  It's also about finding that one person who you click with.