Nil - Lynne Matson

Book Title:  Nil

Author:  Lynne Matson

Series:  Nil #1

Genre:  Young Adult, Mystery/Thriller

Source:  Library Book (Kindle)

✧✧Why I picked that quote:  I found it inspirational, and it gives me hope to think that if I change the way I think about my luck, that I could change my luck.✧✧

Warning: There is a lot of "Lost" (The TV Show) references in this review.

Overall Rating:  3.8 Stars (I think)

Breakdown of Rating✧

• Plot:   3.5/5  It's kind of got that whole "the island talks to me" thing going.  (Like Locke in Lost).  I think it came off as more weird than cool, though.
  • Characters:  3.8/5  Some are promising, I really like the diversity.
  • Theme:  4/5
  • Flow:  3.5/5  Disjointed at times.
  • Originality:  4/5  The concept of this story is what drew me in...
  • Book Cover:  5/5...for the all blue cover, not the one pictured on here.
  • The Feels:  3/5
  • Sex Factor: There is talk of sex
  • Ending:    4.7/5   Clearly, the ending is what saved this book for me.   Cliffhanger:  No, not entirely.  While, the mystery of the island is still in question; Charley and Thad have their closure.

Will I continue the series:  Yes, ultimately; the mystery of what the island is, has got me hooked.  But, it better not be like Lost.  While, I was addicted to the series, (I seriously, never missed a single episode, and that's without a DVR) the ending left me very unfulfilled.

Synopsis:

On the mysterious island of Nil, the rules are set. You have one year. Exactly 365 days--to escape, or you die.

Seventeen-year-old Charley doesn’t know the rules. She doesn’t even know where she is. The last thing she remembers is blacking out, and when she wakes up, she’s lying naked in an empty rock field.

Lost and alone, Charley finds no sign of other people until she meets Thad, the gorgeous leader of a clan of teenage refugees. Soon Charley learns that leaving the island is harder than she thought . . . and so is falling in love. With Thad’s time running out, Charley realizes that to save their future, Charley must first save him. And on an island rife with dangers, their greatest threat is time.

My Thoughts:

This book dragged for about the first three quarters, but somewhere towards the end, I realized; I really did care about these kids.   I was invested in their well being.   I wanted to solve the mystery of "what" Nil is.  Of course, it's going to take another two books to do so.

This is the cover that I prefer...love the palm trees.  I think, I'm suppose to be living somewhere around palm trees.

17225463