All the Bright Places - Jennifer Niven, Jennifer Niven, Ariadne Meyers, Kirby Heyborne

Book Title:  All The Bright Places

Author:  Jennifer Niven

Narration:  Kirby Heyborne, Ariadne Meyers

Series:  Stand Alone

Genre:  Young Adult

Source:  MP3 Audiobook (Library)

✧✧Why I chose that quote:  It's inspirational and it's what this book is ultimately about to me and why it has a 4 star rating instead of a 3.✧✧

Overall Rating:  4/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

• Plot:   4.3/5
  • Characters:  4/5   Finch was annoying most of time but Finch's Parents were the saddest characters of all.  Violet really grows as a person throughout.
  • Theme:  4/5  Hopefully the real message of this book is seen or felt or whatever.
  • Flow:    3.8/5  Finch's rambling would make tune out sometimes.
  • Originality:  4/5
  • Book Cover:  4/5
  • The Feels:  4.5/5  While I didn't really cry, I can see how this book will get to most people.  It's really difficult for me to say how I feel about this book, when I have so many conflicting feelings about it.
  • Sex Factor:  Teen Sex
  • Narration:  4.5/5  Too quiet, I could hardly hear it when volume was turned up all the way.  (Why are some audiobooks this way???)
  • Ending:     4/5  Cliffhanger:  No

Synopsis:

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

My Thoughts:

This story is sad, but for me it was sad in a way that pissed me off more than anything.  It's a story about mental illness, and the lack of attention that most people give to it, especially when it's staring them in the face.  Ultimately, it infuriated me, but I think it was suppose too.