Perfected - Kate Jarvik Birch

Author:  Kate Jarvik Birch

Narration:  Tavia Gilbert

Series:  Perfected #1

Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian, Romance

Source: Audio book (Library)

Why I picked that quote:  While this book creeped me out, there were moments inside Ella's head that made me feel inspired. Ultimately, I think, this story is suppose to creep you out and hopefully, it goes in a direction that is more appealing in future installments.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

• Plot:  3.3/5  This concept is intriguingly creepy, with moments that are disturbing and charming, but not at the same time.
  • Characters: 3.5/5
  • Theme: 2/5  I wanted to know how they justified owning another human, the sad part was they never referred to Ella as human.  Like she wasn't.  And they never really addressed how it was justified, either.
  • Flow: 4/5
  • Originality: 4.5/5
  • Book Cover: 4/5
  • The Feels: 3.5/5  The feelings I had were all over the place.
  • Sex Factor:  None, mostly just creeper scenes, the kind that make you shudder in disgust.
  • Narration: 4/5  I hated Ruby's scenes though, because she did her voice in a very, very annoying tone.
  • Ending:  3.3/5  It seemed too frantic and could have been done better, but at least I didn't lose all hope for the human race. Cliffhanger: Yes

Will I continue the series: ??? Maybe, The synopsis looks somewhat promising for book #2.

Synopsis:

As soon as the government passed legislation allowing humans to be genetically engineered and sold as pets, the rich and powerful rushed to own beautiful girls like Ella. Trained from birth to be graceful, demure, and above all, perfect, these “family companions” enter their masters’ homes prepared to live a life of idle luxury.

Ella is happy with her new role as playmate for a congressman’s bubbly young daughter, but she doesn’t expect Penn, the congressman’s handsome and rebellious son. He’s the only person who sees beyond the perfect exterior to the girl within. Falling for him goes against every rule she knows… and the freedom she finds with him is intoxicating.

But when Ella is kidnapped and thrust into the dark underworld lurking beneath her pampered life, she’s faced with an unthinkable choice. Because the only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn’s family is leaving… and if she’s unsuccessful, she’ll face a fate far worse than death.

My Thoughts:

What do you think the rich and powerful men are going to do with a girl that they have spent thousand of dollars on?

... *shudder*

Yeah...exactly what I thought.  The underlying tones of this story are disturbing.  She's still just a girl, even if she is 18.  The only thing is; this story doesn't really go into that too much, it really only hints at it.  But, seriously it was all I could think about while listening to it.

The only thing that saved this book for me is the developing relationship between Penn and Ella.  it was sweet, how they bonded over music.  Penn is the only one who treats her like a person. which she is, duh...