Something Like Normal - Trish Doller

Author: Trish Dollar

Series: Stand Alone

Genre: Young Adult/New Adult Contemporary Fiction

Source: Kindle Book from Library

✧✧Why I picked that quote:  Sometimes in a book there are these secondary characters that, you know, "bring the comic relief"  Kevlar is that character for this book, and I found his brand of comic relief amusing. ✧✧

Overall Rating4.8/5

Breakdown of Rating✧

• Plot: 4.5/5  My only qualm is I wish we could have had at least a few chapters from Harper's POV. (I think books with dual POV's have spoiled me for books without, I miss it when it's not there.)
  • Characters: 5/5  This is one of those books with great characters, I especially loved the secondary characters.
  • Theme: 5/5
  • Flow: 4.8/5  I really like the way this story plays out.
  • Originality: 4.5/5  While the whole PTSD thing has been done, this book did it in a way that felt totally original.
  • Book Cover: 4/5
  • The Feels: 4.8/5
  • Sex Factor: non explicit sex
  • Ending: 5/5 Cliffhanger: No

Will I read more from this Author: Yes

Synopsis:

When Travis returns home from Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother's stolen his girlfriend and car, and the nightmares of his best friend getting killed keep him completely spooked. But when he runs into Harper, a girl who despises him for rumors Travis started back in middle school, life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he falls deeper in love with her and begins to find his way through the family meltdown, the post-traumatic stress and the possibility of a interesting future. His sense of humor, sense of his own strength and incredible sense of honor make Travis an irresistible and eminently loveable hero in this fantastic and timely debut novel.

My Thoughts:

This book had a real life feel to it.  One of those being that Travis isn't perfect, far from perfect, actually.  He is a typical guy, who makes some typical guy kind of moves, both before he goes off to Afghanistan and after he comes home on leave.  That being said he comes a long way towards being a  "real good man" by the end of the book.  To finding his "new normal"...