The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey

Author: Rick Yancey
Series: The 5th Wave
Genre: Dystopian, Alien Invasion, Science Fiction, Young Adult
Source: I own Kindle

✧✧Why I picked that quote:  The Aliens in this book suck. The things they do...they are atrocious.  They get in our heads and suck everything we as humans know to be to true out.✧✧

Overall Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

Plot: 4.8/5  Very profound and mind boggling.  This is so scary…the idea of it. Sort of Falling Skies-ish. I'm looking forward to the movie.
Characters: 4.8/5 Intense being in their heads sometimes.  They are flawed, yet likable.
Theme: 4.7/5
Flow: 4/5. I probably had the most issues with the flow.
Originality: 4/5
Book Cover: 4/5 It could have been better…I think I find it confusing.
The Feels: 5/5 I had to stop reading it sometimes because of the way it made me feel.
Sex Factor: None
Ending: 5/5. By the last 2/3rds of the book, I could not put it down. Cliffhanger: Not really.  Just a "to be continued".

Will I continue the series: Yes, I am listening too The Infinite Sea right now on Audio.

Synopsis:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

My Thoughts:

This book freaked me out with it's intensity, but I did have a few issues with the flow of the story.  The random switching between Cassie's and Ben's head would throw me off, because I didn't know it was happening until a few paragraphs into a new chapter and then I would have to reread those first few paragraphs once I knew whose head I was in.  Also, sometimes the inner dialogue going on in their heads would switch from past experiences to present experiences, back and forth, within one breath; and leave me confused.  I did get use to it eventually and it become easier to keep up then.  I decided to listen to 2nd book on Audio, to see if it would clear up those issues.

I'll end with this quote because it's a good one...

“We’re here, and then we’re gone, and it’s not about the time we’re here, but what we do with the time.”