Joyride - Anna Banks

Narration:  Kyla Garcia and Andrew Eiden
Series: Stand Alone
Genre:  Young Adult, Contemporary,
Source:  Audiobook (Library)

✧✧Why I chose that quote:  I can personally connect with this quote...being a speck, or less than the speck is me in a nutshell.  I'm very shy, actually.✧✧

Overall Rating: 2.5/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

Plot:  2.5/5 This is so boring, I find myself zoning out a lot while listening to it.
Characters: 2.2/5  Something was definitely missing for me, I never really felt all that connected with them.
Theme: 4/5  This story has a good theme, in showing the other side of immigration.  The side where they are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their families.
Flow: 3.8/5  It is well written, it just the story goes on about the most mundane things.
Originality: 3.7/5
Book Cover: 4.5/5  It is ultimately what sold me on the book in the first place.
The Feels: 2.3/5
Sex Factor: None
Narration: 4.3/5
Ending: 3.7/5 The ending did pick up.  Cliffhanger: No

Will I read more from this Author:  Probably not, unless everyone is raving about it.

Synopsis:

A popular guy and a shy girl with a secret become unlikely accomplices for midnight pranking, and are soon in over their heads—with the law and with each other—in this sparkling standalone from NYT-bestselling author Anna Banks.

It’s been years since Carly Vega’s parents were deported. She lives with her brother, studies hard, and works at a convenience store to contribute to getting her parents back from Mexico.

Arden Moss used to be the star quarterback at school. He dated popular blondes and had fun with his older sister, Amber. But now Amber’s dead, and Arden blames his father, the town sheriff who wouldn’t acknowledge Amber's mental illness. Arden refuses to fulfill whatever his conservative father expects.

All Carly wants is to stay under the radar and do what her family expects. All Arden wants is to NOT do what his family expects. When their paths cross, they each realize they’ve been living according to others. Carly and Arden’s journey toward their true hearts—and one another—is funny, romantic, and sometimes harsh.

My Thoughts:

The real reason I read this was for a reading challenge, it has people from the knees down and that's something I needed for a cover challenge.  In retrospect, I realize that this book is more for a younger YA crowd.  This is not a flashy, high action kind of read, it's more about life issues, a-make-you-see-life-from-someone-else's-pov, kind of read.  This is something that you could let your pre-teen read without any worries.