Sanctuary Bay - Melinda Metz, Laura J. Burns

Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Young Adult
Publisher: St. Martin's Press Expected Publication: 01/19/16
Source: Netgalley Arc

☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠
Why I picked that quote: It's my own quote; and it’s how I felt while reading this...
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Overall Rating: 4.3/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

Plot: 4.2/5 The pacing is perfect, I just have some issues with the content.
Characters: 4.5/5
Theme: That's a tricky one to rate…
Flow: 4.2/5 It is well written, It just had some glitches.
Originality: 5/5 When I first started this I thought…orphaned kid goes to remote school that seems too good to be true…sounds like Variant, which I didn't really like all that much…but this really wasn't like that story, at all. It had a plot that was believable. Crazy but believable.
Book Cover: 5/5 It's really quite beautiful.
The Feels: 4/5 Not a lot of gushy type feels but more like WTF is going on kind of feels.
Sex Factor: There is a lot of talk of sex (but, no explicit sex scenes) and I believe this is more appropriate for older teens.
Ending: 4.5/5 a bit of a nail biter, but I felt something was missing. Cliffhanger: Not exactly, but I believe there is the possibility for a sequel, though.

Will I continue the series: If there is one, then yeah I will.

Synopsis:

In this genre-bending YA thriller, will Sarah Merson's shiny new prep school change her life forever or bring it to a dark and sinister end?

When Sarah Merson receives the opportunity of a lifetime to attend the most elite prep school in the country-Sanctuary Bay Academy-it seems almost too good to be true. But, after years of bouncing from foster home to foster home, escaping to its tranquil setting, nestled deep in Swans Island, couldn't sound more appealing. Swiftly thrown into a world of privilege and secrets, Sarah quickly realizes finding herself noticed by class charmer, Nate, as well as her roommate's dangerously attentive boyfriend, Ethan, are the least of her worries. When her roommate suddenly goes missing, she finds herself in a race against time, not only to find her, but to save herself and discover the dark truth behind Sanctuary Bay's glossy reputation.

In this genre-bending YA thriller, Sanctuary Bay by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz, Sarah's new school may seem like an idyllic temple of learning, but as she unearths years of terrifying history and manipulation, she discovers this "school" is something much more sinister.

My Thoughts:

This story drew me in quickly and effortlessly. There are elements to this story, which ultimately make more sense as you progress further in the book, that strike me as inappropriate for the YA genre. I think it may glorify certain behavior, which ultimately shouldn’t be. Basically, like I mentioned above, I think it is better suited to 16+.

Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.