Rook - Sharon Cameron

Author:  Sharon Cameron

Series:  Stand Alone

Genre:  Dystopian, Young Adult/Adult, Romance

Publisher:  Scholastic

Source:  Kindle E-book (Library)

☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬

Why I picked that quote:  It captures the confusion I had the entire time I was reading this book.  These symbols, called Adi Shakti, have an interesting connection to the book also.

☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬☬

Overall Rating:  2.5/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

• Plot: 5/5  -While I loved the concept, or the setting, of this book, I couldn’t really connect with the way it was written.  It is too wordy, too descriptive…oh, and too long by far.  Which could have been taken care of if it were less wordy, I suppose.  Because of this; all other points I would rate this book on have suffered also.
  • Characters: 5/5 -They just seem like blah to me, I never really connected to them.
  • The Feels: 5/5  -Almost nonexistent, unless you count the overwhelming feeling that I needed to close my eyes and go to sleep.
  • Theme: 3/5
  • Flow: 2/5
  • Originality: 5/5  -The world in this book is one of the most intriguing things about it.  The goddess worshipping or however it should be worded, was thought provoking and interesting.
  • Book Cover: 5/5  -The best thing about this book…it’s stunning.
  • Ending: 8/5  Cliffhanger:  No

Will I read more from this Author?  I don’t believe I will, not with the way I struggled to finish this one.

Synopsis:

History has a way of repeating itself. In the Sunken City that was once Paris, all who oppose the new revolution are being put to the blade. Except for those who disappear from their prison cells, a red-tipped rook feather left in their place. Is the mysterious Red Rook a savior of the innocent or a criminal?

Meanwhile, across the sea in the Commonwealth, Sophia Bellamy’s arranged marriage to the wealthy René Hasard is the last chance to save her family from ruin. But when the search for the Red Rook comes straight to her doorstep, Sophia discovers that her fiancé is not all he seems. Which is only fair, because neither is she.

As the Red Rook grows bolder and the stakes grow higher, Sophia and René find themselves locked in a tantalizing game of cat and mouse.

My Thoughts:

I have to be honest I completely read the first 55% and after that I skimmed until the last 90%, then I read the end in its entirety.  Maybe, I would have felt more from this book if I had read the entire thing.  I was nearing the end of my borrowing time from the library and I just wanted to finish it already.