Tarnished - Kate Jarvik Birch

Genre:  Young Adult, Dystopian-ish, Sci-fi-ish

Publisher:  Entangled Teen

Source:  Netgalley Arc

☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆

Why I picked that quote:  The author has a lot of poignant excerpts like this one throughout the book, and this one is my favorite.  Such a beautiful way to explain the pre-dawn time of day.

☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆☼☾☆

Overall Rating:  3.7/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

• Plot: 8/5  -The story starts out really slow and some things that happen seem, I don’t know, glossed over and not fully fleshed out, but as the story progressed it hooked me in more.
  • Characters: 7/5  -Ella is more likable in this 2nd book, she gets a backbone and starts thinking for herself, I actually started to like her more and more as the story progressed.  Penn is somewhat less likable, he’s become like the devoted puppy, sort of.   Missy is really a bitch when she first arrives, but I realized that she only wants what is best for Ella and she really has a hard time admitting she cares, about anything or anyone.  That’s just a part of her personality.
  • The Feels: 5/5  -The romance between Penn and Ella is really put on the backburner so to speak in this one. I think I liked this more, because of that.
  • Theme: 8/5  -While, ultimately, I think the theme of this series is a good one, there is still this underlying theme of dirty old men having their way with very young girls.  This part of this series really unhinges me.  I mean really their motto is We sell young pretty girls for your enjoyment, what do you think these rich old men want these girls for…ewww…but seriously ewww doesn’t even begin to cover it.  I really like to believe that this could never happen in our society.
  • Flow: 4/5
  • Originality: 4/5
  • Book Cover: 5/5  -It is really pretty, even though, this dress doesn’t seem to make an appearance in this book.  I think it’s main purpose is to convey a feeling of being less than perfect.
  • Sex Factor: Not really, but it is hinted at.
  • Ending: 4/5  -The ending was sort of intense, I don’t know…I was actually into it.   Cliffhanger:    Sort of

Will I continue the series?  Yes, I like where it seems to be heading now.

Synopsis:

Freedom comes at a cost...

Ella was genetically engineered to be the perfect pet—graceful, demure...and kept. In a daring move, she escaped her captivity and took refuge in Canada. But while she can think and act as she pleases, the life of a liberated pet is just as confining as the Congressman’s gilded cage. Her escape triggered a backlash, and now no one's safe, least

of all the other pets. But she's trapped, unable to get back

to Penn—the boy she loves—or help the girls who need her.

Back in the United States, pets are turning up dead. With help from a very unexpected source, Ella slips deep into the dangerous black market, posing as a tarnished pet available to buy or sell. If she's lucky, she'll be able to rescue Penn and expose the truth about the breeding program. If she fails, Ella will pay not only with her life, but the lives

of everyone she's tried to save...

My Thoughts:

I was kindly provided with an ARC of this book via Netgalley in Exchange for an honest review.

I listened to the first book, Perfected, on audio and I was really annoyed by the MC’s voice, she was whiny and nauseating.  For Tarnished, I read the E-book and that was definitely the better choice.  Overall, this book has it flaws, but in it's intended form, as a YA book, it is a worthwhile read.  It will certainly get you thinking.