The Darkest Minds  - Alexandra Bracken, Amy McFadden

Author:  Alexandra Bracken

Narration:  Amy McFadden

Series:  Darkest Minds #1

Genre:  Young Adult, Dystopian, Science Fiction

Publisher:  Disney Hyperion (book) Brilliance Audio (Audiobook)

Source:  Audible Audiobook

☮♡☮☮♡☮☮♡☮☮♡☮☮♡☮

Why I picked that quote:  Overall, it explains how the MC thinks throughout the whole story.  She wouldn’t ever express herself, it was maddening.

☮♡☮☮♡☮☮♡☮☮♡☮☮♡☮

Overall Rating 4/5 Stars

Breakdown of Rating

• Plot: 8/5  It was overly long and rather slow at times, then there would be some heavy action and the next thing I knew they were doing something completely different, I was left thinking…what just happened…did I zone out or something?
  • Characters: 4/5  Although Ruby annoyed me sometimes, I was screaming at her to just to…say something, anything…because she internalized everything.  Hopefully, in the next editions of the series she starts to realize that she doesn't have to keep everything to herself.  I loved Liam though, he was so freaking awesome and such a steadfast kind of guy.

“Did you know...you make me so happy that sometimes I actually forget to breath? I'll be looking at you, and my chest will get so tight...and it's like, the only thought in my head is how much I want to reach over and kiss you.”

• The Feels: 4/5
  • Theme: 5/5
  • Flow: 7/5
  • Originality: 4/5
  • Book Cover: 4/5  A little boring when compared to complexity of the story.
  • Sex Factor: It was questionable for me, did they or didn't they.
  • Narration: 5/5  Started out kind of blah, but eventually she blew me away.
  • Ending: 4/5  Cliffhanger:  A "to be continued" kind of ending…

Will I continue the series? I think so

Synopsis:

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

My  Additional Thoughts:

Ruby eventually grew on me as a heroine, which was greatly facilitated by the remarkable supporting characters in this book.  Chubbs, and Zu are so great and really made this story more likable for me.  Once those two and Liam show up, the plot really picks up and there are only small hiccups the rest of the way. Overall, it's an intriguing concept with characters that continually realize their potential.  It will be interesting to see where Ruby goes with her powers.