Invaded - Melissa Landers

Series:  Aleinated #2

Genre:  YA, Science Fiction, Aliens

Publisher:  Disney Hyperion/Tantor Audio

Source:  Audiobook (Library)

It's well said, and there is some truth to it.  Although, there are exceptions to every rule.

Breakdown of Rating

• Plot: 2.5/5  This book wasn't really an improvement over the first book, and I was hoping it would be.  The pacing is slow, and the storyline is sorely lacking.
  • Characters: 3/5  I just wasn’t feeling them, except maybe, Cara’s Brother.
  • The Feels: 1.5/5
  • Theme: 4/5  The only thing it really has going for it.  It has a powerful message about not taking our planet for granted.
  • Flow: 3/5  It's not that its badly written, the slow pacing coupled with the monotonous story line just didn’t lure me in.
  • Originality: 3.5/5
  • Book Cover: 5/5
  • Sex Factor: Talk about it happening.
  • Narration: 2/5  Do not like this women's voice.  Annoying…I need to make a list of narrators to stay away from.
  • Ending: 2.5/5  Very anti-climatic.  Cliffhanger:  No, it could feasibly end here for me.  Not that there isn’t lose ends still…

Will I continue the series?  Leaning towards no…

Synopsis:

Cara always knew that life on planet L'eihr would be an adjustment. With Aelyx, her L'eihr boyfriend, back on Earth working to mend the broken alliance between their two planets, Cara is left to fend for herself at a new school, surrounded by hostile alien clones. Even the weird dorm pet hates her. Things start to look up when Cara is appointed human representative to a panel preparing for a human colony on L'eihr. A society that melds their two cultures is a place where Cara and Aelyx could one day make a life together. But with L'eihr leaders balking at granting even the most basic freedoms, Cara begins to wonder if she could ever be happy on this planet.

Meanwhile, on Earth, Aelyx finds himself in a full-scale PR campaign to improve human-L'eihr relations. Humans don't know that their very survival depends on this alliance: Only Aelyx's people have the technology to fix the deadly contamination in the global water supply that human governments are hiding. Yet despite their upper hand, the leaders of his world suddenly seem desperate to get humans on their side, and they hardly bat an eye when extremists make multiple attempts on Aelyx's life. The Way clearly needs humans' help, but with what? And what will they ask for in return?

My Additional Thoughts:

The narration may be what killed this book for me, in one aspect.  In another, it might be what made it possible for me to finish it.  I might have DNF’d it otherwise.  I can’t really say if you should listen to this on Audio versus reading the actual book.  All I can say is; go with caution…