Slammed - Colleen Hoover

Series:  Slammed #1

Genre:  Young Adult

Publisher:  Atria Books

Source:  Owned on Audible

This is about Acceptance in the five stages of grief.  Which are Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.  They are real, and you don't necessarily go through them in order, but you do go through them, and sometimes you keep repeating them.  I know this to be true…It can take a while depending on how long it’s been since you lost someone and how close they were to you.

• Plot: 4/5  I can really tell that this is CoHo’s debut book, because it just didn't have the depth of her other novels.  It was cute and sweet and I did like it.
  • Characters: 2/5  Cute and sweet…are you sensing a theme here…?
  • The Feels: 4/5  They were a little cheesy at times, but I really connected with the five stages of dealing with grief element of the story.
  • Theme: 5/5
  • Flow: 5/5  A little glitchy.
  • Originality: 4/5  The Slam Poetry was original.  Something I never encountered in a book before.  It wasn’t something I really connected with like I have with her others books.
  • Book Cover: 4/5
  • Sex Factor: None.  This is for sure more YA than NA.
  • Narration: 3/5  Meh…
  • Ending: 4/5 The cute and sweet continues all the way to the end.  Cliffhanger:  No

Will I continue the series?  I don’t know, I might just let Layken and Will's Story end with this book.

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

Ok, I had a really big problem with some of the references to Michigan, I live in Michigan, and I have all my life.  The narrator kept pronouncing Ypsilanti wrong, you’re supposed to pronounce the Y more like an I.  It drove me insane.  Also, in this book it snows at the end of September and sticks on the ground for a week or more.  I cannot remember that ever happening in the month of September.  Even if it did, it would never stick to the ground, it'd be to warm.  I know it's kind of trivial, but it just irked me.

Let me tell you, though, the snow is sticking today…for sure.

While I liked this, it's just not one of my favorites, and most of her books are on my favorites list.  I would recommend it though.