Find Me - Romily Bernard

Series:  Find Me #1

Genre:  Mystery, Suspense, Young Adult

Publisher:  Harper Teen

Source:   I Own Kindle E-book

Wicket (Wick) has had a hard life and she sees things a little differently than most, she has to be her own hero, and Lily's, (her little sister) instead of waiting for someone else to be.  Her mom has committed suicide and her dad is a drug dealing felon who only wants to use her for her hacking skills.  She has serious trust issues, and with reason.

• Plot: 8/5  It was both intriguing and confusing to me.  The aspect of throwing in the diary entries at the beginning of each chapter, threw me off course every time, until the last third of the book, then they finally started making sense to me.  At that point, I went back and read them all and everything started clicking for me.  The whole story is centered around Wick trying to find Tessa, but Tessa is dead not missing, so maybe the book should have been called “Find Him” since essentially it was about finding the one that pushed her to kill herself.
  • Characters: 8/5  Wick is intriguing, but I wanted to know her more, feel more connected to her.  I really wanted to know more about Griff too.
  • The Feels: 3/5  I didn't really feel the relationship between Wick (interesting name) and Griff.  It wasn’t really emphasized enough for me.
  • Theme: 5/5  The hacking aspect, is a little frightening to think about.  I know it's out there, but most of the time I'm not forced to think about it.
  • Flow: 5/5  Rather choppy, hard to follow.  It did improve as I got used to her writing style.
  • Book Cover: 5/5  This cover is awesome, best part of the book.
  • Sex Factor: No
  • Ending: 4/5  I was breathless by the time I got to the end, even if it was mostly predictable.   Cliffhanger:   No, this particular mystery is all wrapped up.

Will I continue the series?  I’m not sure because the synopsis for the next book introduces a second guy who could be a romantic interest for Wick, a love triangle???  Not that I’m put off by love triangles, these things do happen, I just don’t know…

“Find Me.”

These are the words written on Tessa Waye’s diary. The diary that ends up with Wick Tate. But Tessa’s just been found . . . dead.

Wick has the right computer-hacking skills for the job, but little interest in this perverse game of hide-and-seek. Until her sister Lily is the next target.

Then Griff, trailer-park boy next door and fellow hacker, shows up, intent on helping Wick. Is a happy ending possible with the threat of Wick’s deadbeat dad returning, the detective hunting him sniffing around Wick instead, and a killer taunting her at every step?

Foster child. Daughter of a felon. Loner hacker girl. Wick has a bad attitude and sarcasm to spare.

But she’s going to find this killer no matter what.

Because it just got personal.

It can be difficult to write a mystery from a child's POV because most people cannot think, or wrap their head around a kid trying to solve a mystery when they should leave it to the professionals to solve.  I think ultimately this story explained it well why Wick didn't feel she could trust anyone else to solve it.  When you have no one in your life who you feel you can trust, you have to figure it out on your own.