The Kiss of Deception - Mary E. Pearson

Book Title:  The Kiss of Deception

Author:  Mary E Pearson

Narration:  Emily Rankin, with Ryan Gesell, Kim Mai Guest, Kirby Heyborne & Anne Marie Lee

Series:  The Remnant Chronicles #1

Genre:  YA, Fantasy

Publisher:  Book: Henry Holt, Audio: Listening Library

Source:  Audiobook (Library)

Lia's journey of self-discovery is the only element I really connected with in this book.  In this quote she is trying to figure out her feelings for Rafe and Kaden.  She does figure out who she likes in "that way" early on.

• Plot: 3.2/5 This book is so slow, it's not till the last quarter of the book, that I actually felt invested in where it was going.  The action scenes, when they came, and they're only a few were hard for me to follow.
  • Characters: 3.8/5  They were all just OK. You know, they said how they felt and so I knew.  When I read a book I want to feel how the characters felt not just to be told how they felt.  That was missing for me in this.  It's a foremost reason this didn't get a higher rating from me.
  • The Feels: 2/5
  • Theme: 4/5
  • Flow: 3.5/5  I don't believe this is badly written by any means, the pacing is just too slow and I found my thoughts drifting off a lot while listening.
  • Originality: 3.5/5
  • Book Cover: 4/5
  • Sex Factor: None
  • Narration: 4/5  Their were slew of narrators, Emily Rankin is the main one and two guys for the Assassin and the Prince.  They were all really good, none of them wowed me, though.  Her friend, Pauline has a chapter and then there is a women telling bits of stories (or something like that) at the beginning of each chapter.
  • Ending: 3.8/5  It was anti-climactic and not much of an ending.   Cliffhanger:  yeah…

Will I continue the series?  It's questionable, but not out of the question.  I believe there is a lot of mysteries yet to be solved, this could entice me to continue on with this series.

A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.

This Author tries to keep you in the dark about which guy is which, they go by different names:  The Assassin and The Prince, Rafe and Kaden, fisherman or trapper.  Honestly, this is the only element that kept me interested in listening to this at first.  Trying to solve this mystery.  I think it's possible, though, you have an advantage in figuring this out sooner with the audio version.

The world in this book is an intriguing one. For me, it feels like a dystopian in a way that the world seems to have been destroyed at one time and then it became what it is in this book.  It seems like it could be in the North America, but it could be Europe too, or it could be a totally made up place.