The Islands at the End of the World - Austin Aslan

Author:  Austin Aslan

Series:  The Islands at the End of the World

Genre:  Science Fiction, YA, Apocalypse,

Publisher:  Wendy Lamb Books

Source:  Kindle Edition (Library)

Short and to the point, this embodies the destruction that comes about with Armageddon.   When mankind is left to its own defenses, and able to just run amok.  It especially illustrates, how it comes about in this particular story.

• Plot: 4/5 The survival aspect of this story is very well done and feels genuine.  I was captivated.  A well thought out plot. The paranormal aspect was a little less satisfying.
  • Characters: 4/5  I really love the main characters, the father/daughter aspect of this was remarkably done.
  • The Feels: 3.5/5  From Leilani's undoubtedly scary seizure's to the end of world struggle for survival and their quest to get home to the rest of their family, it was gripping.
  • Theme: 4/5
  • Flow: 4.2/5  The flow of the story was a little off, I had to reread some things to understand them.  I also had a hard time with all the Hawaiian words.  I always want to pronounce words correctly, even if it is just in my head…so I was constantly tripped up by them.
  • Originality: 4.5/5  I’ve never read an apocalyptic story that is set in Hawaii and furthermore, I’m quite sure I wouldn’t want to be there when the world ends.
  • Book Cover: 5/5  Stunning cover.
  • Sex Factor: None
  • Backdrop: 5/5  I love the beauty that is Hawaii.  When helping my daughter in elementary school with her state project on Hawaii, I learned a lot about the islands of Hawaii.  I became fascinated with it.  Hopefully I can visit there, someday.
  • Ending: 3.5/5  The oddly paranormal aspect to the ending in this book, lost me a little.   Cliffhanger:  …to be continued.

Will I continue the series?  Quite possibly…

In this fast-paced survival story set in Hawaii, electronics fail worldwide, the islands become completely isolated, and a strange starscape fills the sky. Leilani and her father embark on a nightmare odyssey from Oahu to their home on the Big Island. Leilani's epilepsy holds a clue to the disaster, if only they can survive as the islands revert to earlier ways.

A powerful story enriched by fascinating elements of Hawaiian ecology, culture, and warfare, this captivating and dramatic debut from Austin Aslan is the first of two novels. The author has a master's degree in tropical conservation biology from the University of Hawaii at Hilo.

I'm not sure why, but I was little miffed with the spiritually paranormal-ish aspect to this story, it's interspersed throughout the story and it mostly left me feeling distracted.  By the end, though, it becomes somewhat more clear where this is going…I think.  Maybe, I need to read the second book; for this aspect of the story to really click with me.

** Side Note:  This book has a super long title, but it’s very fitting.