The Friend Zone - Kristen Callihan

Author:  Kristen Callihan

Series:  Game On #2

Genre:  New Adult, Sports Romance

Source:  Overdrive E-book

Duh, he(Gray) quoted one of my all-time favorite movies…The Breakfast Club.

• Plot: 3.7/5 –The beginning started off well and then it just seemed to drag for me.  It really became repetitive with the constant sex and the more than constant self-doubts.  It's possible that this book will make me shy away from books with a friends to lover’s trope.
  • Characters: 4.2/5 --Quirky and lovable, even if they were a little too stubborn, they were perfect for each other.  It seems they were the only ones who failed to notice that, though.
  • The Feels: 3.5/5 –They were good and bad…
  • Flow: 4/5
  • Originality: 3/5
  • Book Cover: 4/5
  • Sex Factor: --There is such a thing as too much sex in a book…at least for me.  I got so I skimmed the sex scenes towards the end.  It seems I was always at work when I would get to them and that was just awkward with coworkers sitting all around me.
  • Ending: 4.8/5 --I really felt like this book was going nowhere for a while until about the last quarter of the book and then the sex scenes stopped and some actual story started happening again.  A very sweet epilogue for this book also.   Cliffhanger:  No

Will I continue the series?  Most likely

Gray doesn’t make friends with women. He has sex with them. Until Ivy.

The last thing star tight-end Gray Grayson wants to do is drive his agent’s daughter’s bubblegum pink car. But he needs the wheels and she’s studying abroad. Something he explains when she sends him an irate text to let him know exactly how much pain she’ll put him in if he crashes her beloved ride. Before he knows it, Ivy Mackenzie has become his best texting bud. But then Ivy comes home and everything goes haywire. Because the only thing Gray can think of is being with Ivy.

Ivy doesn’t have sex with friends. Especially not with a certain football player. No matter how hot he makes her…

Gray drives Ivy crazy. He’s irreverent, sex on a stick, and completely off limits. Because, Ivy has one golden rule: never get involved with one of her father’s clients. A rule that’s proving harder to keep now that Gray is doing his best to seduce her. Her best friend is fast becoming the most irresistible guy she’s ever met.

Which means Gray is going to have to use all his skills to win Ivy’s heart. Game on.

While I had my issues with this 2nd story in this series they were still these little tidbits that I loved.  One being their texting bits at the beginning of the book.  They set the tone for the book and at that point, I really liked where the story was going.  And another being their pregame ritual involving Radioactive by Imagine Dragons, it was inspirational.  And of course, a third one is Gray and Ivy's little jokes they would banter back and forth with.  Some were super silly and then there was this particular one, that was a little on the raunchy side…

"What's green and smells like pork?"

"Kermit's finger."

…but still made me laugh out loud.  Overall, I mostly enjoyed this second book in the Game On Series, despite the flaws.