Trust Me, I'm Lying - Mary Elizabeth Summer

Book Title: Trust Me I'm Lying

Author:  Mary Elizabeth Summer

Series:  Trust Me #1

Genre:  Young Adult, Mystery

Source:  Kindle E-book (Library)

One of the elements in this book that I really did enjoy is Julep's sense of humor, it's resonates with me…seriously, I keep waiting on those magic cleaning gnomes too.

• Plot: 4.3/5 --Girl has grifter father.  Girl goes to private school and pays for it by grifting too.  Girls father disappears and she sets out to solve the clues that we’re left behind by grifter father.  Girl has best friend who is actually in love with her, but she only sees as a friend.  Girl has a thing for the most popular guy in school---Hhhmmm...
  • Characters: 3.7/5 --I would have liked more character development, but I did enjoy Julep’s sarcasm and wit.
  • The Feels: 3.5/5 --I'm just going to throw this out there, when you’re in the middle of a book, do not go on goodreads and look up the second book, and think, oh maybe I'll just read like the first sentence or so, of the synopsis, to see what the second book could be about.  Seriously…don't do it.
  • Theme: 4/5
  • Flow: 4/5
  • Backdrop (World Building): 4/5 --Chicago, the windy city.
  • Originality: 4/5 -While not a wholly original idea, it was done somewhat distinctively.
  • Book Cover: 5/5 --My book had a different cover, and I tried to add it on here, but it didn’t take.
  • Sex Factor: None
  • Ending: 3.5/5 --Somewhere between a 2.5 and a 4.5, depending on which part of the ending we're talking about.  Cliffhanger:  "to be continued"

Will I continue the series?  Maybe

The first book in the Trust Me series...

Fans of Ally Carter, especially her Heist Society readers, will love this teen mystery/thriller with sarcastic wit, a hint of romance, and Ocean’s Eleven–inspired action.

Julep Dupree tells lies. A lot of them. She’s a con artist, a master of disguise, and a sophomore at Chicago’s swanky St. Agatha High, where her father, an old-school grifter with a weakness for the ponies, sends her to so she can learn to mingle with the upper crust. For extra spending money Julep doesn’t rely on her dad—she runs petty scams for her classmates while dodging the dean of students and maintaining an A+ (okay, A-) average.

But when she comes home one day to a ransacked apartment and her father gone, Julep’s carefully laid plans for an expenses-paid golden ticket to Yale start to unravel. Even with help from St. Agatha’s resident Prince Charming, Tyler Richland, and her loyal hacker sidekick, Sam, Julep struggles to trace her dad’s trail of clues through a maze of creepy stalkers, hit attempts, family secrets, and worse, the threat of foster care. With everything she has at stake, Julep’s in way over her head . . . but that’s not going to stop her from using every trick in the book to find her dad before his mark finds her. Because that would be criminal.

I liked this, but I could have liked it more...wanted to like it more.  I really did ruin the last 1/3 of the story for me when I read that one line of the synopsis for the second book.  Honestly, though, it all comes down to the fact that I didn’t like that one particular element of the ending and that would have happened, regardless.