He Will Be My Ruin: A Novel - K.A. Tucker

Author:  KA Tucker

Series:  Stand Alone

Genre:  New Adult, Mystery

Source:  E-Book (Library)

• Plot: 4.7/5 --The pacing of the plot is spot on, only giving you what you need to know, and kept me truly guessing until the very end.  I thought I knew who it was, and it, well I'm trying not to give anything away…so…let's just say it will surprise you.
  • Characters: 3.2/5 --Told from both Maggie and Celine's (through her journal) pov, these two characters are fleshed out really well…but…maybe that’s the problem...they just weren’t all that likable.
  • The Feels: 3.8/5 --Creeped out, freaked out and a little disgusted at times…and no, I'm not saying those were all bad.
  • Theme: 4/5 --Ultimately, it's about your life choices, and how fucked up shit can get when you make the wrong ones.
  • Flow: 4.5/5
  • Backdrop (World Building): 5/5 --New York, the somewhat gritty side.
  • Originality: 4/5
  • Book Cover: 4/5 --It could have been better, for me, it's probably just the color that I don't really care for.
  • Sex Factor: yes…but it's not the prevalant theme of this book, but then again it kind of is…hmmm (things that make you go hmmm…)
  • Ending: 4/5 --KA totally surprised me with this one…but I was underwhelmed with the overall suspense of the ending.   Cliffhanger:  No

Will I read more from this Author?  Yes

On the surface, Celine Gonzalez had everything a twenty-eight-year-old woman could want: a one-bedroom apartment on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, a job that (mostly) paid the bills, and an acceptance letter to the prestigious Hollingsworth Institute of Art, where she would finally live out her dream of becoming an antiques appraiser for a major auction house. All she had worked so hard to achieve was finally within her reach. So why would she kill herself?

A man who was supposed to be her salvation . . .

Maggie Sparkes arrives in New York City to pack up what’s left of her best friend’s belongings after a suicide that has left everyone stunned. The police have deemed the evidence conclusive: Celine got into bed, downed a lethal cocktail of pills and vodka, and never woke up. But when Maggie discovers a scandalous photograph in a lock box hidden in Celine’s apartment, she begins asking questions. Questions about the man Celine fell in love with. The man she never told anyone about, not even Maggie. The man Celine believed would change her life.

Until he became her ruin.

On the hunt for evidence that will force the police to reopen the case, Maggie uncovers more than she bargained for about Celine’s private life—and inadvertently puts herself on the radar of a killer. A killer who will stop at nothing to keep his crimes undiscovered.

While overall I was intrigued by this, I never felt like I was sucked in by it, where I couldn't stop reading it…at least, not until the last 1/4 or so, and that was only because of the mystery of "who done it".  It has taken me forever to write this review because I couldn’t quite put my finger on the why of it.  Then, after I recently read a friend's review of this book on GR, in whereas she didn't feel a connection to the characters at all.  I was like, hmmm, this is why, this is thee why.  I felt like they were lacking for me too.  I would not go so far as to say I didn't connect with them at all.

You know, I kept waiting for this to turn into more of a romance than it was, it is KA Tucker, after all, and she knows how to write a good one.  It’s not that I think it would have been better if it had, only that I expected it.