Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo

Narration:  Lauren Fortgang

Series:  The Grisha #1

Genre:  YA, Fantasy

Source:  Audible Audiobook

☆My Pick for Book Theme Song:  Die For You by Otherwise (Mal's Song)

I really like Alina, she is seriously kick-ass and still humble.  She is easy to root for…

• Plot: 4.5/5 --Sometimes, fantasy is too fantastical for me to really get into it.  This was just the right amount, told in a believable way.
  • Characters: 5/5 --Excellent…Everything they should be.
  • The Feels: 4.5/5
  • Theme: 4/5
  • Flow: 4/5 –My main issue, albeit a small one, is with the flow, but I’m hoping, now that I know the world a little better it will only get better in the next books.
  • Backdrop (World Building): 4.5/5 --A very imaginative world, that still seems almost real-like.  A little hard to follow at first, but eventually everything filled in.
  • Originality: 5/5
  • Book Cover: 5/5
  • Sex Factor: None really
  • Narration: 4.5/5 --I had some issues early on figuring out what she was saying, I did get used to her way of speaking eventually.   She does a lot of different voices really well.  It felt like there was more than one person narrating.
  • Ending: 5/5 --Looking forward to next book.   Cliffhanger:  to be continued...

Will I continue the series?  Yes

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.

I'm not sure why it took me so long to read this, but I'm pleased I finally got around to it.  Excellent start to a promising series.  The love triangle…does not bother me.  Every book needs some drama; drama can make or break a story.  This book has everything really, fantastic world building, with some angsty like drama and evil forces trying to overcome the good.  What more could you ask for?