Bluescreen (Mirador) - Dan Wells

Narration:  Roxanne Hernandez

Series:  Mirador #1

Genre:  Young Adult, Science Fiction

Source:  Audiobook (Library)

Uhmmm…I don't really know, it's the battle cry of Marissa's online gaming team.  Sadly, this book didn't inspire me to look further than that.  Actually the gaming aspect of this really bored me.

• Plot: 3.5/5 --It was good concept, so-so execution.  This book moved at a breakneck speed, with a lot of techy talk, but left me feeling meh.
  • Characters: 3/5 –While they were a very diverse cast of characters, I don’t feel like I know them.  Just within Marissa's family alone, there were several different names for each one of her siblings, of which I'm not sure how many siblings she even has.  Basically, there is a lot of names to keep track of, and it made it difficult to actually know anyone and difficult to follow the story.
  • The Feels: 2.5/5
  • Theme: 4/5
  • Flow: 3/5 --Too much techno babble, it made it hard for me to enjoy it.
  • Backdrop (World Building): 4/5 --The most noteworthy component to this story.
  • Originality: 4/5
  • Book Cover: 4/5
  • Sex Factor: None
  • Narration: 3/5 --This is one of those books, that would have been better for me to read rather than listen, but then the length of it would have done me in.  A lot of Spanish terms flying around, that I couldn't follow that quickly.  Sometimes I zoned out while listening, and didn't really care.
  • Ending: 4/5  Cliffhanger:  No, but apparently this is a series…

Will I continue the series?  Probably not

Los Angeles in 2050 is a city of open doors, as long as you have the right connections. That connection is a djinni—a smart device implanted right in a person’s head. In a world where virtually everyone is online twenty-four hours a day, this connection is like oxygen—and a world like that presents plenty of opportunities for someone who knows how to manipulate it.

Marisa Carneseca is one of those people. She might spend her days in Mirador, the small, vibrant LA neighborhood where her family owns a restaurant, but she lives on the net—going to school, playing games, hanging out, or doing things of more questionable legality with her friends Sahara and Anja. And it’s Anja who first gets her hands on Bluescreen—a virtual drug that plugs right into a person’s djinni and delivers a massive, non-chemical, completely safe high. But in this city, when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is, and Mari and her friends soon find themselves in the middle of a conspiracy that is much bigger than they ever suspected.

I'm not computer illiterate but this book made me feel as if I am, at least sort of.  This futuristic world that Dan Wells painted is one that seems totally plausible in the coming years.  There are some interesting aspects to it.   To the djinni, the cars that drive themselves, and the laundry bot.  I really wanted to like this a lot more than I did, because I loved the Partials Sequence, but it just wasn't happening.  Marissa is no Kira…