Strings - David Estes

Author:  David Estes

Narration:  Kate Rudd

Series:  Stand Alone

Genre:  Fantasy, Fairytale Retelling, YA

Source:  **I Received an audible version in exchange for an honest review*

“Our strings tie us down, restrict us, force us to live a life we never wanted, a life we think we have to live, one we never chose for ourselves. But all strings, whether invisible or as clear as the tumbling spill of a waterfall, can be cut.”

Ratings Breakdown

Originality:  5/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Narration: 3/5

Ending:  3/5  Cliffhanger:  No

Will I read more from this Author?  Despite not really liking this, I will read more by him, because all the other books that I've read by him; I have liked. (It's entirely possible my rating of a 3 is because of this, otherwise it would be more like a 2.5).

3/5 STARS

My Thoughts

Loosely based on Pinocchio, this is a dark, futuristic (I think, actually it's hard to pinpoint) take on the classic tale.  My last fairytale retelling was a hit and so I really thought I would like this but it really fell flat for me.

While, ultimately, it has a profound message to impart, I was unable to connect with the characters and their darkly told and sad story.  I'm not sure if it was the narration, but I believe it's at least partially to blame.  I've loved some of David Estes' other works, namely the Dwellers and Country Saga's.  Maybe…it's the humor that is so prevalant in them, and is decidedly missing from Strings that has made it so I couldn’t really connect with this story.

Sex Factor:  None, very clean actually.