Strands of Bronze and Gold (Audio) - Caitlin Prennace, Jane Nickerson

Narration:  Caitlin Prennace

Series:  Strands #1

Genre:  YA, Historical, Retelling

Source:  Audiobook (Library)

☆My Pick for Book Theme Song:  Down With The Sickness by Disturbed  --Because this guy is seriously disturbed and maybe his underlying problem is Mommy issues…

Ratings Breakdown

Originality:  3.5/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Narration: 4/5

Ending:  3.5/5 Cliffhanger:  No

Will I continue the series?  Not likely...

2.9/5 STARS

My Thoughts

First off, I have to say that this cover is beautiful and what initially drew me to it.  I  can't really say that I knew of the story of Blackbeard before this, all I knew about Blackbeard is that he was a Pirate…I guess.  This was a somewhat interesting tale, albeit oddly disconcerting.  This dude is too old, I don't know if it's ever said how old he is…but I think he must be at least 20 years older than her, and she's only 17.  Ewww…so yeah.  This put me in a place where the story just felt icky.

While the writing itself is essentially good, it's just the overall theme that left me feeling off.   The ending, though, was its saving grace, because it ended just how I thought it should.  There is a smidgen of paranormal, in the form of ghosts.  And, if this element had been missing from the story,  I would have rated it lower.

Sex Factor:  Well, I'm not sure how to say this…No, but yeah, there is some connotations to sexual elements, that were disturbing.