Leah's Bookish Obsession

Leah's Bookish Obsession

I'm a work in progress, I think I'll always be...

Spoiler-free, and smaller, pocket-sized reviews.

All my ratings start at 5 Stars and go down from there.  Because every book deserves to start out at the top.

Review
2.5 Stars
Sorry, I'm confused by all the 5-Star Reviews for this...
Midnight Burning (Norse Chronicles) - LLC Red Adept Publishing, Jennifer Fournier, Karissa Laurel

Book Title:  Midnight Burning

Author:  Karissa Laurel

Narration:  Jennifer Fournier

Series:  Norse Chronicles #1

Genre:  Urban Fantasy, Norse Mythology

Publisher:  Red Adept Publishing, LLC

Setting:  Mostly Alaska

Source:   I received audiobook via Audiobook Boom in exchange for an honest review.

Add to Goodreads

Backdrop (World Building):  3.7/5

Originality:  4/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Narration:  2/5

Ending:  3/5  Cliffhanger:  Yup!

Steam Factor 0-5:  2

Total:  2.5/5 STARS - GRADE=D+

This felt like a lot longer than 278 pages on audio.  This was over 10 hours long…10 hours of unlikable characters, lines delivered in the wrong context and an annoyingly done love triangle (or square).

I don't usually get this upset with love triangle's, but this one really irked me.  Solina flip-flopped almost the entire book between Val and Thorin and ran hot and cold in her interactions with each, throughout.  She pushed away then pulled them in and pushed away again.  So much so, that I'm thinking she really likes Skyla instead.  Skyla accused her of having a girl crush, even.   I think the narrator is at fault for how cheesy the lines were delivered, she was not on her game at all.  This could have been a really good story, otherwise, because the Nordic element was an interesting one.  I just couldn't get past my dislike for these characters and the narrator to really listen to it.

Will I continue this series?  Nah…I'll pass.

Discussion