Sekret  - Lindsay  Smith

Author:  Lindsay Smith

Series:  Sekret #1

Genre:  YA | Historical Fiction | Supernatural

Setting:  Russia

Source:  Kindle eBook (Library)

Add to Goodreads

Flow (Writing Style):  3/5

Backdrop (World Building):  4/5

Originality:5/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  4/5  Cliffhanger:  Yes.

Steam Factor 0-5: 1

Total:  3.8/5 STARS - GRADE=B

A completely different kind of read for me.  One that starts off at a slower pace but cleverly creeps up on you.  Sekret is a story that's shaped by actual historical events, some you will immediately recognize, like the assassination of JFK.

The Good:  The intriguing premise makes this a notable and interesting read.  Along with the supernatural abilities, that are explained in a way that makes them seem completely natural.

The Bad:   I really would have liked the characters to be more relatable, although, towards the end, I did find myself liking them.  Also, the reading flow was compromised due to the many names she called the characters by.  Apparently, Russians have several different names they go by where they add certain endings depending on whether they are male or female, or something like that. The Author explains all this in the beginning of the book with "A Note on Russian Names".  Even with that, though, I still struggled to keep the characters straight.  I wish she would have just called each character by one name, even if it made it less credible.

Will I continue this series?  I will have to be in the mood for something like this, but yeah, I believe I will, eventually.