Our Kind of Cruelty: A Novel - Araminta Hall

Book Title:  Our Kind of Cruelty

Author:  Araminta Hall

Genre:  Psychological Thriller

Publisher:  Farrar, Straus, and Giroux

Source: I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~The Blurb (which is an excellent summarization for this book)~

This is a love story. Mike’s love story.

Mike Hayes fought his way out of a brutal childhood and into a quiet if lonely life before he met Verity Metcalf. V taught him about love, and in return, Mike has dedicated his life to making her happy. He’s found the perfect home, the perfect job, he’s sculpted himself into the physical ideal V has always wanted. He knows they’ll be blissfully happy together.

It doesn’t matter that she hasn’t been returning his emails or phone calls.

It doesn’t matter that she says she’s marrying Angus.

It’s all just part of the secret game they used to play. If Mike watches V closely, he’ll see the signs. If he keeps track of her every move he’ll know just when to come to her rescue…

A spellbinding, darkly twisted novel about desire and obsession, and the complicated lines between truth and perception, Our Kind of Cruelty introduces Araminta Hall, a chilling new voice in psychological suspense.

~MY RATING~ 3.8/5 STARS - GRADE=B

Theme or Tone~4/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 3.8/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 4.5/5

Ending~ 3.7/5  Cliffhanger~ …sort of open-ended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Okay, I guess…

Setting~ London, England

~My Thoughts~

A compelling, provocative, and utterly disturbing story about obsessive love…with a decidedly English feel (this is coming from an American, though) to it.  Being inside Mike's head is uncomfortable…I really despise stalkers, and he left me feeling positively icky.  It is odd though, that he made me doubt, like seriously doubt, everything.  In fact…I don't know if I truly understood the ending.  Maybe, that's what the Author wants???  But, overall, I was hooked while reading this and had to know where this was ultimately going.  Although, I was slightly mystified with the ending.

~Will I read more from this Author?~ I don't really know, honestly.