Tarnished City - Vic James

~ABOUT THE BOOK~

Tarnished City

Vic James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A corrupted city. A dark dream of power.

Luke is a prisoner, condemned for a murder he didn’t commit. Abi is a fugitive, desperate to free him before magic breaks his mind. But as the Jardines tighten their grip on a turbulent Britain, brother and sister face a fight greater than their own.

New alliances and old feuds will remake the nation, leaving Abi and Luke questioning everything – and everyone – they know. And as Silyen Jardine hungers for the forgotten Skill of the legendary Wonder King, the country’s darkest hour approaches. Freedom and knowledge both come at a cost. So who will pay the price?

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was torn as to whether I was going to continue this series because I struggled to get through the first book.  Then way before it (Tarnished City) was due to release, I noticed my library had already purchased it in audiobook format…I thought…hmmm…maybe I could eliminate some my issues with Gilded Cage by listening to Tarnished City, rather than reading it.

Overall, I'm happy that I gave this series a second chance because this world that Vic James has created is darkly captivating and dangerously alluring.  I applaud her ingenuity with the unique plot and the complex characters.  She also threw in some very clever twists.  While there are still many elements to this that I found confusing and I know I didn't always comprehend the situations totally, I did enjoy it, nonetheless.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 4.2/5  Cliffhanger~ More or less…yes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~  Awesome, I think this darker version goes with the story better.

Narration~ ☆4.3☆ Avita Jay, for having an accent, which I always seem to struggle with, I thought she was pretty good.

Series~ Dark Gifts #2