Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook - Christina Henry, Samuel Roukin

~ABOUT THE BOOK~

Lost Boy:  The True Story of Captain Hook

Christina Henry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is one version of my story that everyone knows. And then there is the truth. This is how it happened. How I went from being Peter Pan’s first—and favorite—lost boy to his greatest enemy.

Peter brought me to his island because there were no rules and no grownups to make us mind. He brought boys from the Other Place to join in the fun, but Peter's idea of fun is sharper than a pirate’s sword. Because it’s never been all fun and games on the island. Our neighbors are pirates and monsters. Our toys are knife and stick and rock—the kinds of playthings that bite.

Peter promised we would all be young and happy forever. Peter lies.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once I acclimated to the narrator's voice I found myself thoroughly engaged in this tale.  I struggled with the first half or so because I really didn't like the narrator.  Primarily, I felt Hook should have had a different intonation than his.

It is a tad on the dark side and possibly not for the faint of heart.  I wouldn't classify it as Horror, as many on GR have.  Maybe for YA genre, this could be considered Horror, though.  Overall, by the ending, I was completely onboard with Christina Henry's take on this...A messy little tale about why Hook (Jamie) hates Pan so much, and why he is stranded in, and destined to not ever leave, the place they call Neverland.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 4.5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 3.7/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 5/5 Cliffhanger~ Well, sort of…

Book Cover~ It's Okay

Narration~ ☆3.2☆ Samuel Roukin, I think he was a tad pretentious.

Setting~ Neverland