Sorta Like A Rock Star - Matthew Quick

~ABOUT THE BOOK~

Sorta Like A Rock Star

Matthew Quick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amber Appleton lives in a bus. Ever since her mom's boyfriend kicked them out, Amber, her mom, and her totally loyal dog, Bobby Big Boy (aka Thrice B) have been camped out in the back of Hello Yellow (the school bus her mom drives). Still, Amber, the self-proclaimed princess of hope and girl of unyielding optimism, refuses to sweat the bad stuff. But when a fatal tragedy threatens Amber's optimism—and her way of life, can Amber continue to be the rock star of hope? With an oddball cast of characters, and a heartwarming, inspiring story, this novel unveils a beautifully beaten-up world of laughs, loyalty, and hard-earned hope.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At first, Amber Appleton annoyed me quite a bit.  She is tragically hip, saying words like True and Word constantly.  Maybe, in 2015 when this was published, she might come off as less annoying, but somehow I doubt it. I was poised to give this something like a 2-2 and 12 Stars, and then somewhere along the way, she started to get to me.  Somehow, she burrowed her way under my skin.  I even shed a tear or two.  Seriously.  Of course, I could just be feeling sorry for myself, I just had surgery, after all, and I can't do much right now.

Ultimately, the message or the tone of this book came through to me, despite all the religious references (for the most part they were referenced in a non-preachy way).  Granted, it's has a sappy "ABC After School Special" feel to it, but for the right audience…

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 4.3/5

Book Cover~ It's Okay

Narration~ ☆4☆ She's definitely perky…but she didn't pull those "Word" and "True's" off to well.

Setting~ IDK