Jar of Hearts - Jennifer Hillier

~ABOUT THE BOOK~

Jar of Hearts

Jennifer Hillier

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A compelling story of murder, betrayal, and the secrets of the past…

Georgina, known as Geo, is a 30-year-old rising executive when her world comes crashing down. Her high school boyfriend has been identified and arrested for a series of serial murders, including Angela, Geo's best friend in high school. Angela disappeared without a trace at 16 and her body has just been found. Now Geo is under arrest for helping her then-boyfriend cover it up. And it's one of her other close friends from high school, Kaiser Brody, who arrests her.

While Geo is sent to prison for her part, Calvin escapes from custody and is on the run. Geo, now thirty-five, is about to be released from prison to try and start over. But someone has started killing people and dumping their bodies in her old neighborhood, with some of the markers of the missing Sweetbay Strangler—her old boyfriend Calvin. Is these killings some kind of message from Calvin? Are they some of revenge? Is she herself now in danger?

Everything turns on what really happened that tragic night back when Geo and Angela were high schoolers. Everyone thinks they know the truth, but there are dark secrets buried deep within other secrets, and it may be too late for anyone to survive the truth.

~MY REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the beginning, I was enjoying this well enough, despite the many, and I mean many, typo's. I really hope they clean this up before they publish it because at times I was so frustrated with just how many extra words/missing words there were, that I thought about not finishing.  Add to that, the unlikable characters, and the not unforeseen twist at the end…and this was shaping up to be a very mediocre read.

I felt some elements of the story only bogged it down, like most of the prison chapters and I also felt like many scenarios would have never played out the way they did.  I don't know, ultimately…this just didn't sit well with me.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 1/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 1.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 3/5

Originality~ 2/5

Ending~ 1.5/5 Cliffhanger~ Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ The only pretty thing about this book is its cover.

Publisher~ St. Martins Press -Minotaur Books

Setting~ Sweetbay, Washington

Source~ I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.