Running Barefoot - Amy Harmon

~ABOUT THE BOOK~

Running Barefoot

Amy Harmon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Josie Jensen, an awkward 13-year-old musical prodigy crashes headlong into new-comer Samuel Yazzie, an 18-year-old Navajo boy full of anger and confusion, an unlikely friendship blooms. Josie teaches Samuel about words, music and friendship, and along the way finds a kindred spirit. Upon graduation, Samuel abandons the sleepy, small town in search of a future and a life, leaving his young friend behind. Many years go by and Samuel returns, finding Josie in need of the very things she offered him years before. Their roles reversed, Samuel teaches Josie about life, love, and letting go. Deeply romantic and poignant, Running Barefoot is the story of a small town girl and a Native American boy, the ties that bind them to their homes and families, and the love that gives them wings.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beautiful writing mixed with beautiful characters, Amy Harmon pulls both these off with such a tender thoroughness.  Running Barefoot is no exception, despite my not loving quite as much as I did Making Faces.  If you are an old soul, you will readily connect with Samuel, Josie and their story. While I don't really consider myself an old soul, I still found this an uplifting story that inevitably pulled at the heartstrings.  Amy Harmon...you rock at storytelling.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.2/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 5/5 Cliffhanger~ Nope.

Book Cover~ It's okay

Narration~4  -Tavia Gilbert…you know, I've realized, after listening to several of the books she narrates that all her male voices sound exactly the same.

Source~ Audiobook (Library)