Red Rising - Pierce Brown, Tim Gerard Reynolds

~BOOK BLURB~

Red Rising

Pierce Brown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations.

Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.

But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.

Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies... even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took forever to finish this, the audio was difficult to understand…and when I remembered that I had actually purchased this in eBook format, I started reading while listening.  Which helped, but still, it was really difficult for me to stay in the story.  For me Red Rising is plagued with too many characters, plot lines I couldn't always follow and a difficult to discern accent.

This had the potential to be epic, and yet I only felt a smattering of that epic-ness.  The last two-thirds of the book involves some sort competition that I didn't really comprehend why they were doing it in the first place…like what was the point of it?  I believe, if I continue this series, I need to actually read the book and skip the audio.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 3.5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 1.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 3/5

Originality~ 3.5/5

Ending~ 3/5 Cliffhanger~ "to be continued"

Book Cover~ Meh…

Narration~  2.5 -Gerard Reynolds…I really didn't like this narration.

Series~ Red Rising #1